EZ CONNECT™G 2.4 GHZ
54 MBPS WIRELESS PCI
SMC’s EZ Connect™g 2.4 GHz 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Card (SMC2802W) is a 54 Mbps wireless network adapter for desktop PCs that seamlessly integrates with existing Ethernet networks.
This solution offers a high data rate and reliable wireless connectivity with considerable cost savings over wired LANs (which include long-term maintenance overhead for cabling). Just install enough wireless access points to cover your network area,
plug wireless cards into your desktop computers, and start
Using this card in conjunction with SMC2870W wireless access points, you can create an instant network that integrates seamlessly with 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LANs. Moving or
expanding your network is as easy as moving or installing additional access points – no wires!
• Up to 54 Mbps data rate
• Wireless connection without the hassles and cost of cabling
• Greater flexibility to locate or move networked computers
• Integrates with or replaces wired LANs at dramatically lower cost than wired alternatives
• Seamless connectivity to wired Ethernet LANs augments existing networks quickly and easily
• Easy installation
Working range up to
• Direct Sequence Spread-Spectrum (DSSS) technology provides robust, interference-resistant and secure wireless connection
• Supports a wide range of systems (Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP)
• Provides a user-friendly interface for configuration
• Enhances your network security with WEP data encryption
• Removable antenna
EZ Connect wireless products offer fast and reliable network access for wireless clients in applications such as:
• Remote access to corporate network information
Email, file transfer, and terminal emulation
• Difficult-to-wire environments
Historic or old buildings, asbestos installations, and open areas where wiring is difficult to employ
• Frequently changing environments
Retailers, manufacturers, and banks who frequently rearrange the workplace and change location
• Temporary LANs for special projects or peak time
Trade shows, exhibitions, and construction sites that need to set up for a short time period. Retailers, airline, and shipping companies who need additional workstations for peak
periods. Auditors who require workgroups at customer sites
• Access to databases for mobile workers
Doctors, nurses, retailers, office workers who need access to databases while being mobile in a hospital, retail store, office,
Before you install the SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card, check your system for the following requirements:
• A computer with a bus-mastered PCI slot, and PCI card and socket services compliant with revision 2.2 of the PCI
• Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP (have the Windows OS installation CD ready for use during driver installation)
• A minimum of 6 Mbytes of free disk space for installing the driver and utility program
• Another IEEE 802.11b/g compliant device installed in your network, such as the SMC2870W Wireless Access Point, or another computer with a wireless adapter
The SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card supports up to 54 Mbps connections. This card is fully compliant with the specifications defined in IEEE 802.11g standard. It is designed to complement
PCI Local Bus computers and supports Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP.
The SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card includes two status LED indicators, as described in the following table.
• This network adapter requires a PC and BIOS that supports the PCI Local Bus Specification v2.2 or later. If you are installing in an older computer model, upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.
• Network cards are sensitive to static electricity. To protect the card, avoid touching its electrical
components and always touch the metal chassis of your computer before handling the card.
1. Switch off the computer, unplug the power cord, and remove the computer’s cover.
2. Select an available bus-mastering PCI slot and remove the cover bracket.
3. Detach the antenna from the SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card before inserting the card into a PCI slot.
4. Insert the network card into the slot so that it is firmly seated. Screw the card’s bracket securely into the computer’s chassis.
Note: Be careful that it does not touch any conducting parts on the computer motherboard.
5. Attach the antenna to the SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card.
6. Replace the chassis cover on your computer and power it on.
7. The SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card should be automatically configured by the host computer’s BIOS. However, if you have an older computer, you may have to manually configure the
computer’s BIOS settings.
8. The installation CD contains all drivers for this card. Please read the RELEASE.TXT file on the disk for a list of all drivers.
A text file is included with each driver to detail the proper installation procedure.
9. Install the Utility program for your SMC2802W Wireless PCI Card. The SETUP.EXE file of the utility program can be found on the CD.
10. Any new or updated drivers can be downloaded from SMC’s web site (see the back cover of this guide).
DRIVER AND UTILITY
The SMC2802W EZ Installation Wizard and Documentation CD that comes with the package contains all the software drivers. Any new or updated software can be downloaded from SMC’s web
Using the Installation Wizard
2. Click the Install Driver/Utility option on the wizard. The EZ Installation Wizard will start installing files into your system, this may take a few minutes.
3. This message will then appear, click OK.
4. The InstallShield Wizard Complete message will appear, select No, then click Finish. Turn off your PC and plug the SMC2802W adapter into your computer.
Note: Please be sure to turn off your computer before inserting the adapter to avoid serious damage to your PC.
5. After inserting the adapter into the computer and turn your PC back on. Windows XP will automatically detect the new hardware and prompt you to install the driver. Check Install
the software automatically, and then click Next.
6. Click “Continue Anyway.”
Note:Do not select “STOP Installation,” as this will cancel the installation process, and the drivers will not be installed properly.